South Beach Civic Association

Staten Island, NY


Give Help, Get Help Greetings SILTRO Network,

Several SILTRO member organizations are coordinating volunteers to assist Staten Islanders with clean-up help from the recent flooding. 

Anyone who would like to volunteer, or who would like to request basic clean up help from a volunteer team, may email their contact information and request to
Emergency Shelter American Red Cross in Greater New York is providing temporary shelter for those affected by the storm and can be reached at 877.RED.CROSS.The Muslim American Society at 180 Burgher Ave. is also able to shelter or check in on displaced Staten Islanders. Contact Abdullah Akl at 917-825-9763.  Safety Tips New Yorkers are encouraged to report damage to their property by calling 311 (212-639-9675 for Video Relay Service, or TTY: 212-504-4115) or by accessing the Damage Assessment Tool online. The Damage Assessment Tool allows the City to immediately collect damage information from New Yorkers to assess the impact upon affected areas. (Note: Reporting damage with this form is for tracking purposes only. You will not be provided a confirmation number.) New Yorkers are advised to stay off the roads and avoid traveling as much as possible so responders can clear areas affected by flooding. Further, New Yorkers should expect continued delays and suspensions in MTA train service. Consider alternate routes and allow for additional travel time. If you must travel, New Yorkers are advised to exercise caution. If your car has been relocated, call 311.  New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for Notify NYC, the City’s free emergency notification system. Through Notify NYC, New Yorkers can receive phone calls, text messages, and/or emails alerts about traffic and transit disruptions and other emergencies. To sign up for Notify NYC, call 311, visit, or follow @NotifyNYC on Twitter.  Other Resources Low-income Staten Islanders with a time-sensitive, one-time financial need under $3,000 caused by the flooding may contact Rev. Karen Jackson, Project Hospitality’s Director of Community Initaitives, at to be considered for a one-time emergency cash grant. Grants are made out to the vendor and not the individual. Please be prepared to provide proof of income and other relevant documentation. NYC Water Damage or Loss Claim Form from NYC Comptroller’s Office:
Claim must be filed in person or by registered or certified mail within 90 days of the occurrence at the NYC Comptroller’s Office, 1 Centre Street, Room 1225, New York, New York 10007. It must be notarized.
If you would like help accessing a notary, email for assistance. Visit the State’s Disaster and Flood Resource Center for a wealth of information on financial management post-flooding.  Emotional Support Project Hope crisis counselors are available to provide emotional support to Staten Islanders. Call 718-609-7900 to talk to a crisis counselor, to request a Project Hope team to be deployed in your community or to your organization, or to learn about ongoing individual or group counseling opportunities.  Emergency Rental Assistance Program and Excluded Workers Fund Application Help Call Project Hospitality’s team of ERAP enrollers at 929-724-5360 for help submitting the Emergency Rental Assistance Program or Excluded Worker’s Fund application online.